Ditherington Flax Mill Maltings

Visitor Centre (converted Stables)

Date

26 August 2017

Location

Ditherington, Shrewsbury
SJ 49855 13826; 52.71974°N, 2.74382°W

Information

Ditherington Flax Mill Maltings was previously featured here in GeoTopoi in December 2011. Since then there have various changes at the site, the most significant being the opening in November 2015 in the converted offices and stables of a Visitor Centre. The opening of the centre is the first phase of a restoration project undertaken by a partnership between Historic England, Friends of Flaxmill Maltings and Shropshire Council. The second phase, which will result in a mixed-use redevelopment of the historic buildings, is proceeding thanks to the subvention of the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Other changes include the demolition of various later structures on the site, such as the massive concrete silos built in the 1950s and 60s (North Silo and South Silo). Public access is currently limited to the Visitor Centre and a small area to the rear of the mill buildings.

Further Reading

Ditherington Flax Mill Maltings (GeoTopoi, 2011);
Shrewsbury Flaxmill Maltings (Historic England)

SEE MORE →

Advertisements

St Chad’s Church, Shrewsbury

St Chad’s Church, Shrewsbury

Date

24 August 2017

Location

St Chad’s Terrace, Shrewsbury
SJ 48816 12422; 52.70702°N, 2.75899°W

Information

The Church of England’s St Chad’s Church opened on 19 August 1792 and has recently celebrated its 225th birthday. The present building, designed by Scottish architect George Steuart (1730-1806), repaced the earlier 13th century chruch dedicated to St Chad.

St Chad’s is a Grade 1 listed building.

Additional trivia: Charles Darwin (1809-1882) was baptised in St Chad’s on November 15th 1809.

Further Reading

St Chad’s;
St Chad’s Church, Shrewsbury (Wikipedia)

SEE MORE →

Quantum Leap

Quantum Leap

Date

24 August 2017

Location

Darwin Memorial Geo-Garden, Mardol Quay, Shrewsbury
SJ 48964 12740; 52.70989°N, 2.75684°W

Information

The sculpture Quantum Leap, by Ranbir Lal, Colin Pearce and Mervyn Rodrigues, is located in the Darwin Bicentenary Memorial Garden, which was inaugurated on 8 October 2009.

“Quantum Lead was designed by studying patterns and forms in nature such as flowers, shells and DNA double helix.

“The form of Quantum Leap evokes the local and incidental forms you find when visiting Shrewsbury: such as the arches of the bridges over the River Severn and the patterns formed by boats skulling on the river.”

— Information plaque

SEE MORE →