Vision in Grey

Vision in Grey

Watch Vision in Grey on YouTube

SEE MORE →

Advertisements

Penmaenmawr Granite Quarries from Foel Lus

Penmaenmawr from Foel Lus

Key

Date

12 May 2012
Location

Foel Lus, Penmaenmawr

SH 73010 76255; 53.26802°N, 3.90557°W

Information

Graiglwyd Quarry

A

Modern Processing Plant

B

Braichllwyd Mill

C

Fox Bank Mill

D

De Winton locomotive level

E

Bonc Jolly Mill

F

Brundrits Wharf

CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE…

Penmaen West Quarry Inclines

Guarding the incline...

Date

28 April 2012
Location

Penmaenmawr

SH 69331 75442; 53.25982°N, 3.96037°W

Information

These photographs were taken on the inclines rising from the tramway hugging the side of Penmaen Mawr headland up to the levels of the disused Penmaen West quarry, part of the Penmaenmawr Granite Quarries complex.

Brundrits and Whiteway started quarrying for granite on the western side of Penmaenmawr mountain in the 1830s and in 1911 merged with Darbishires Ltd, owners of the quarries on the eastern side of the mountain, to form the Penmaenmawr and Welsh Granite Company. In 1963 the latter became part of the Bath and Portland Stones Firms Ltd. Next to own the quarry complex was Kingston Minerals Ltd, followed in the 1980s by the Amalgamated Roadstone Corporation. The current proprietor is Hanson Aggregates, who suspended quarrying operations in the hitherto active areas of the site in 2008.

CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE…

De Winton locomotive ‘Watkin’

De Winton vertical-boilered locomotive 'Watkin'

Date

22 April 2012
Location

Penrhyn Castle Industrial Railway Museum

SH 60277 71968; 53.22631°N, 4.09447°W

Information

The 1893 vertical-boilered De Winton ‘Watkin’ is on display in the Industrial Railway Museum at Penrhyn Castle. The remains of her older sister ‘Penmaen’ are still in situ braving the elements at Penmaenmawr Granite Quarries, where they both worked. Penmaen was built in 1878 and was last used around 1944.

Watkin

Penmaenmawr & Welsh Granite Co. 0-4-0 Tank Locomotive.
Gauge: 3′ 0″. Coupled wheels: 1′ 8″ diameter. Two vertical Cylinders 6″ x 10″.

Built 1893 by De Winton & Co, of Caernarfon and worked at the Penmaenmawr Granite Quarries until 1944. Purchased 1966 by the late Mr Evan Hughes of Llanrwst and placed on loan to the National Trust by his daughter, Mrs D Williams, in May 1972

 — Penrhyn Castle information plaque

CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE…