13 September 2015
Plas Cadnant manor house was built in 1803 by John Price the younger (1780-1855), agent to the Marquess of Anglesey. The neo-classical Georgian house, which received a Grade II listing in 1967, was set in an estate comprising gardens and parkland on the west bank of the Afon Cadnant about half a mile from its estuary on the Menai Strait. The estate remained in the Price family until after the First World War when it was divided up and sold to different owners.
The current 80-hectare private estate was purchased in 1996 by former Staffordshire-based farmer Anthony Tavernor, who first of all renovated and converted the house’s outbuildings into five self-catering holiday cottages. In 1997 he then embarked upon the long-term and continuing project of restoring the gardens which had been neglected for over 70 years. The gardens were opened to the public in 2011.