|Date||17 March 2012|
|Location||Coed-y-parc, Bethesda||SH 61552 66344; 53.17612°N, 4.07295°W|
The locomotive shed forms part of Penrhyn Quarry’s former Felin Fawr mill and workshop complex and is now the centre of activity in the ongoing efforts to restore the narrow-gauge Penrhyn Quarry Railway.
In 1798, Benjamin Wyatt, Lord Penrhyn’s agent, built a horse tramway to transport flint between Port Penrhyn and a mill at Llandygai. The tramway was extended to Penrhyn Quarry in 1801 so that slate could be more easily transported to the port. The five-mile-long line took a fairly direct route and had inclines at Tanysgafell, Dinas near Tregarth, and Marchogion near Maesgeirchen.
So that locomotives could operate on the line, the quarry railway was re-routed in stages between 1876 and 1879 in order to avoid the abrupt changes in height previously accommodated by the inclines. The railway closed in 1962, being superseded by road haulage by lorry. This was followed in 1965 by the closure of both the quarry’s internal rail system and also the Felin Fawr works. The six miles of track lifted at that time were donated to the Festiniog Railway.
The site is owned by Felin Fawr Cyf, to whom grateful thanks are due for kindly granting access to the loco shed.